March 07, 2014

a sitting room update...

Last week I wrote about our DIY plans for the sitting room.

Chris used a belt sander to remove the plaster, paint and grime from our reclaimed scaffolding boards. They've polished up very nicely, so pale compared to how they started. They'll probably need a couple of coats of varnish to finish them off.

We put up the ceiling rose, flex and new lampshade. We made the lampshade using this kit. For the lampshade fabric I chose a dark grey wool felt. The lampshade took about 40 minutes to construct and cost about £25. We also filled in and painted around our lovely BTC lights, so they can be fixed into place this weekend.

We sanded the skirting boards and applied a coat of aluminium primer to stop the bitumen leaking through (yes, it's also on the skirting boards… sigh). We also painted 2 coats of white primer on too, so we're ready to apply the white satin paint this weekend. You can see that the previous owner also painted over the sockets when decorating… it doesn't really matter as we'll replace them anyway, but really??

This weekend, we're planning to finish a couple of the little jobs in this room and then have a nice, long sit down!

Happy weekend, whatever your plans!


  1. Love the look of this room and really liking the fireplace. This summer I want to smash out our ugly gas fire and open up the fireplace with a surround in keeping of the pre 1900 house. Just need the guts to do it!

  2. Love that fireplace! It's all looking great. x

  3. Looks like it's starting to come together, and it's clearly going to be a space with a wonderful atmosphere, that's apparent from the photograph.

  4. It's coming together! Love the BTC wall lights, they are really stunning. x


Hello! Thank you for leaving a comment, it's lovely to hear from you x